In early 1912 sixty people, from rural southwestern Iredell County, met at the Red Hill School to establish a brand new Methodist Church. Soon afterwards, on land located out on Brawley School Road and donated by Tom Williamson, a white frame church was built and became known as Williamson's Chapel United Methodist Church. The pastor of that first church was Rev. Ebenezer Myers, and the adjacent cemetery still stands on that site today. Worship was held in that original small frame church until 1938 when it was replaced by a brick structure. Rev. J.O. Cox directed the building program and ministered to Williamson's Chapel, along with Rocky Mount, and McKendree churches. The stain glass from the door of that church is now located above the entrance to the current sanctuary.
With the building of Lake Norman in the 1950's, it became apparent that a move for the church would be necessary. Duke Power bought the church property and provided land for a new church at the present site - the corner of Williamson and Brawley School Roads. In October 1961, construction of the third church began. The first worship service in that church took place in August 1962 under the leadership of Rev. L.E. Paschal. Expansion was needed and construction of the New Fellowship Hall began in 1998 under the direction of Dr. W. Lyn Sorrells. At that time, a master plan was also completed proposing a large sanctuary, educational space and a family life center. That building program began in 2003 and the first worship service in the new 1,200 seat sanctuary and educational space took place on October 30, 2005 with Dr. Terry L. Moore at the helm.
As the population of the Lake Norman area exploded, WCUMC continued to grow. With three services on Sunday morning and a fourth on Monday nights, Williamson's Chapel became known as a "church without walls"- a church with a heart for missions within the community, the state, nation, and eventually the world. In February 2009, Rev. Rob Fuquay was appointed as Senior Pastor. Under his direction, and with the blessing of Bishop Goodpastor, Williamson's Chapel launched a second campus, called Williamson's West. Associate pastor Andrea Smith was tapped to lead this new campus with the hope of attracting the un-churched in the area, and in September 2010, with 40 faithful WC members, Williamson's West launched at Lake Norman High School. When, in early 2011, Rev. Fuquay followed a call to an out-of-state church, Rev. Jan Brittain was appointed as the Senior Pastor and joined the staff in October 2012. In January 2013, Williamson's West officially launched as West UMC.